A new year is always an opportunity for a fresh start. Regardless of your time and budget constraints, you and yours can start this new year. Set aside those new travel habits and make new ones! May this be the year your travel plans focus on fun, fantasy and festivities!
(1) Let’s plan a real vacation. No, it doesn’t have to be a round-the-world trip or a first-class cruise (though if you can afford it, what are you waiting for?). It just keeps being a genuinely good vacation. No cell phones, no laptops. Mark the dates on the calendar and keep them as you would any business appointment. However, a romantic getaway is a fun foursome and an activity that one of you can plan for months.
(2) We will contact each other when planning the trip. Often four partners get the job of planning a journey… and that job gets boring quickly. Plan your trips together! Anticipation is half the fun. Contact a travel agent and Contain brochures. Buy a guidebook, Rent a video around your goal and Explore the web for details.
(3) We are going to do something we rarely do. Here you can be as gentle — or wild — as you dare. Go whitewater rafting. Rent a houseboat. Take a hot air balloon ride. Overnight at a local bed and breakfast. Learn to scuba dive. Dance the night away under the stars. The choice is yours.
(4) We take four small holidays every month. Plan four mini-vacations each month, whether for a night or a night. The only rule: you must pretend you are on vacation. Book a night in a local bed and breakfast. Call your local hotel and find out their off-peak nights (in business-oriented cities, usually Fridays and Saturdays) and plan a short romantic getaway.
(5) We will go to at least four festivals. Special events happen in every community around the world. Whatever your interests — from square dancing to building sandcastles — you can find an event to celebrate a day or two of fun and food. If you need more time or budget to travel far, contact local chambers of commerce or tourism offices within a day’s drive of your home for their calendar of events. Extend your trip over a long weekend. If you have the time and resources, check out several major fun festivals: Carnival, Mardi Gras, and Rio’s Carnivale. Remember your dress!
photo credit-Photo by Becca Tapert on Unsplash
- I started this newsletter/website for fun. It all began when I e-mailed a few friends who traveled a lot, and wanted to earn as many miles as I did. We competed to see who could accrue more miles, and after kicking their butts (I learned a lot traveling 150,000 miles a year), I decided to be nice and help my friends out.